Wildlife Detectives Day
Your class will be detectives, uncovering clues to what lives where and why, as they explore their habitats, with concepts like food chains brought to life.
Gain first-hand experience of our native wildlife and learn how to identify and group what they find.
Throughout the day, the children will act as detectives, uncovering the clues of what lives where and why, as they explore their habitats. Important concepts such as food chains are explained and brought to life.
We also aim for children to develop love and respect for the natural world and understand the importance of preserving habitats. Activities that can be included in your Habitats Detectives day:
- Mini-beast Hunt – Search for and identify a variety of creepy crawlies
- Pond-Dipping – See the creatures of this hidden habitat up-close (water level dependant)
- Habitat Comparison – Consider features of the habitats and why species are suited to them
- Sensory Experiences – Seasonal activities that immerse everyone in the sights, sounds, smells and textures of the environment.
- Food Chains, Variation and Classification – Games and activities that introduce concepts and consolidate learning
- Den/habitat Building – Create shelters or homes, considering the needs of animals
Where to find us
Need to know
Save money with your Explorer Pass
Our annual Explore Essex Pass will give you and your family the freedom to explore some of the incredible places and green spaces that Essex has to offer, as many times as you like throughout the year, with free parking at seven country parks, 2 or 1 on Sky Ropes, priority booking on specific events, and 10% discounts at many cafes and visitor centres.
Forest School for the under 5’s
- Dates: May 1, 2020
- Venue: Thorndon Country Park
- For under 5s
- Price: £40 for 5-week block booking