Weddings at Essex Record Office
Whether you already have a vision of what your dream day will look like, or are still searching for inspiration, we offer some great options for your marriage ceremony. In our central Chelmsford location alongside the River Chelmer we have a number of different rooms available for wedding ceremonies. We can provide the perfect space for a small wedding, or accommodate a more theatrical affair seating up to 140 guests in our auditorium.
Tel: 0333 013 2501
Address: Essex Records Office, Wharf Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 6YT
- Licensed locations
- Licensed and dedicated Wedding room
- Evening reception facilities
- Entertainment licence
- Alcohol licence
- Seated layout available
- Less than 30 guests
- 30-50 guests
- 50 – 140 guests
- Civil ceremony
Where to find us
Thank you for your interest in hosting your ceremony at Essex Records Office.
Below is some important information to assist you in planning your wedding. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on the following methods: 0333 013 8156 or weddings.ERO@essex.gov.uk.
- There will be a pre-ceremony meeting with the Registrar on the day of your wedding. Traditionally, the first person arriving will meet the Registrars 30 minutes before the ceremony and the second person to arrive will meet with the Registrars 15 minutes before. Couples may decide to do this together instead. This meeting is confirmation that you are legally able to marry, your witnesses names etc.You will not be asked to bring any form of identification to this informal meeting.
- We offer the Andre Room for your ceremony to take place. The room seats a maximum of 36 guests and yourselves. You may not have more than 40 people (which includes your guests, the couple and the Registrars) in the room in line with our Fire Risk Assessment policy. If more than 36 guests are in attendance, they may be asked to wait outside for health &safety reasons. This number includes small children and babies on laps. We are sorry to say that there is not space inside of the room for buggies inside of the room, but you may leave them outside of the room during the ceremony.
- Your ceremony is booked for 45 minutes which includes the service and any photos you may wish to take.
- Your ceremony will be around 20-30 minutes.
- There may be another service before or after your booking so you must ensure you adhere to your timings.
- The Community Weddings are available Monday to Saturday (excluding Bank Holiday Mondays). We are unable to accommodate Community Weddings after 12pm Saturday and not at all on Sundays. All dates and times are subject to availability.
- Access to the building will be no earlier than 30 minutes. Please advise your guests there may be a short wait if they arrive any earlier.
- The building is operational to the public;however, this will not affect the room our wedding takes place in. There is building work taking place around the venue, however this does not affect your wedding and cannot be seen, nor heard from inside of the room.
- There is parking for disabled vehicles and the wedding car only. All of your guests must park in public car parks or make alternative arrangements. The nearest car parks are Meadows surface car park and Baddow Road. Further information can be found here https://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/parking-and-travel/find-a-car-park/. Please note that these are car parks are not owned or managed by Essex Records Office.
- We have a CD player you are welcome to use, providing your own music. We can also accommodate USB devices and plug in phones with AUX leads. This device works with other Bluetooth receiving devices. We ask that you please nominate a guest to ensure that the music is controlled for your service as we are unable to provide staff to do as such. The guest will need to be seated in the front row.
- You can hire our chair sashes for a small fee. Our staff will ensure that these are placed on the chairs prior to your ceremony. These are available for £1 per sash. Please contact us for more information.
- You may use confetti outside the front of the building away from the doors. Confetti must be biodegradable in line with our environmentally friendly policies.
Thank you for your cooperation and we hope you make some happy memories at Essex Records Office