Weddings at Cressing Temple Barns
Cressing Temple Barns is an evocative site, rich in ancient history and set in glorious Essex countryside close to the towns of Witham and Braintree, and ideally located off the A12 and A120. Gifted to the Knights Templar in 1100s and now home to two stunning Grade 1 listed barns and a beautifully restored walled Tudor garden, it is the perfect place to set your wedding. Our History. Your Future.
Tel: 0333 013 8156
Address: Cressing Temple Barns, Witham Road, Braintree, Essex, CM77 8PD
- Licensed locations
- Licensed indoor barn(S)
- Licensed outdoor (Tudor) walled garden
- Licensed indoor oak room
- Evening reception facilities
- Entertainment licence
- Alcohol licence
- Bar provided
- Seated layout available
- Catering needs to be outsourced
- Less than 30 guests
- 30 - 50 guests
- 50 - 200 guests
- Civil ceremony
Where to find us
How do I book a viewing?
We would love to show you our stunning venue. Please contact us at: email@example.com or by phone on 03330 138156. A member of our team will confirm your appointment with you by email.
Can I get married at the venue?
Yes! The venue is an approved premises for civil ceremonies. We have a variety of options for your ceremony, including the stunning Tudor Walled Garden or either of our historical timber-framed barns.
Can I make a provisional booking?
We can hold a date for you for 48 hours before we would need a deposit to secure your booking.
How do I confirm my booking?
To confirm your booking, we will require a 20% deposit and your completed booking form along with the signed contract returned to us.
When does the balance need to be paid?
We will invoice you for 40% of the balance 6 months in advance of your booking and the final 40% along with a refundable* damage deposit 1 month before your booking. You can speak to us about monthly payments if you would prefer this option.
* Damage deposit returned following a site inspection
What time do we need to depart the venue?
The bar closes at 11.30pm and the music must finish at 11.45pm. Carriages should arrive ready for a midnight departure.
Is there a minimum or maximum capacity?
You can choose if you wish to have an intimate affair and we can accommodate up to 200 guests – including yourself and your spouse to be.
Can we choose our own suppliers?
As an exclusive venue only provider, you have the freedom to select your own suppliers to suit your requirements. Please speak to us for more details.
Can we decorate the venue?
A blank canvas for you to theme your wedding means you can bring your very own personal touches to the venue. The historic nature of the venue does not allow for open flames, gas within the barns or pins, tack and staple to be used in the timbers. However, you can use fishing wire, rope, cable ties and battery operated tealights.
Can we use confetti?
You can have bio-degradable confetti, petals, bird seed or rice. We do not allow confetti cannons and confetti must not be thrown in the Tudor Walled Garden.
Can we have fireworks?
Unfortunately due to the historic nature of the venue, we are not licensed to permit fireworks.
Can we bring our own alcohol or food?
In line with our premises licence we do not allow alcohol to be brought in by our couples. Your catering must be provided by a professional company but you are free to choose your own suppliers. We can provide a fully stocked bar and drinks package for you and your guests.
Is there parking for everyone?
We have an extensive car park for your guests included in your venue hire which allows for overnight parking so your guests can enjoy their evening.
Is there somewhere for me to get ready?
The Dressing Room is available to hire from 8am on the day of your wedding. Packages start from £250 for up to 6 people and included drinks and nibbles.
Is there somewhere for us and guests to stay?
We do not have accommodation on-site, however there are numerous hotels within a short drive from the venue.
What time do we have access to the venue from?
You can access the venue from 8am on the day of your wedding. If there is not a function taking place, you are welcome to access the venue from 11am the day before. We will confirm this is at your meeting when discussing your finalised itinerary. Your suppliers can also use this time to begin setting-up.
Please note the following points to assist us in making your day run as smooth as possible.
- Please do not bring alcohol onto the premises. The provision of alcohol is not permitted prior to or during the ceremony and will be removed from the Premises in accordance with licencing regulations.
- Please adhere to your timings as we host back to back weddings.
- If you require early arrivals or setting up, including delivery of flowers prior to your ceremony, you must check with the venue to ensure that there are not other functions before yours. Please ask for prices and availability to set-up in advance of your ceremony.
- The room has the maximum number of chairs in and these cannot be removed at any time. Due to back to back weddings, the room cannot be rearranged.
- We offer the Martin Room for your pre-ceremony meeting with the Registrar. Traditionally, the first person arriving will meet the Registrars 30 minutes before the ceremony and the second person to arrive will meet with the Registrars 15 minutes before. Couples may decide to do this together instead. This meeting is confirmation that you are legally able to marry, your witnesses’ names etc.You will not be asked to bring any form of identification to this informal meeting.
- We offer the Oak Room for your ceremony to take place. This room is Oak panelled with a Tudor character in the 1600’s period Farmhouse. The room seats a maximum of 36 guests and yourselves. You cannot have more than 40 people (which includes your guests, the couple and the Registrars) in the room in line with our Fire Risk Assessment policy. If more than 40 people are in attendance, some of your guests may be asked to wait outside for health & safety reasons. This number includes small children and babies on laps and in prams.
- Your ceremony is booked for one hour only which includes the service and any photos you may wish to take around the grounds (subject to availability). We allocate the Cullen Garden for your post ceremony pictures, but you may use the Walled Garden & grounds for photos if there is not a private function taking place in as such.
- Your service normally lasts around 20-30 minutes
- There may be another service before or after your booking so you must ensure you adhere to your timings.
- The Community Weddings are available Monday to Saturday (excluding Bank Holiday Mondays). We are unable to accommodate Community Weddings after 12pm Saturday and not at all on Sundays. All dates and times are subject to availability.
- Access to the building will be no earlier than 30 minutes. Please advise your guests there may be a short wait if they arrive any earlier.
- The building is operational with small teams working on the first floor. All staff are informed of the bookings and will therefore do their best to remain out of site for the duration of your booking (with the exception of the Wedding Co-ordinator). This building is not open to the public.
- Please do not use or block access to the staircase as there are confidential services using the first floor.
- A wedding vehicle is permitted to drive on-site through the double gates on the right-hand side when entering the site. The driver must be informed there is a strict 5mph policy when driving on site as we are open to the public. Please advise your guests they must park in the main car park and make their way over to the Farmhouse by foot. If you require access for disabled / elderly guests, please inform us in advance.
- We have a CD player and an iPod docking station you are welcome to use, providing your own music. We ask you please nominate a guest to ensure that the music is controlled for your service as we are unable to provide staff to do as such. It is advisable to check your music prior to your booking to ensure compatibility on the day.
- There may be other functions taking place across the site as this is not an exclusive hire of the site
- Decoration may not be possible due to back to back functions. If you wish to supply additional décor to the room or have early access, please contact us for fees and availability.
- You may use biodegradable confetti. We also ask you do not throw this inside the buildings or within the Walled Garden.
- If you are looking for a larger ceremonial location with Reception drinks options or full venue options, please contact us and we will be happy to discuss these options with you.
Thank you for your cooperation and we hope you make some happy memories at Cressing Temple Barns.