Rocks and Soils
Your class will venture out into the park to step back in time and see for themselves the layers of soil, mulch and leaf litter that builds up over 100s of years. They will find out about different components of soils and their importance as a natural resource. This day particularly encourages scientific investigation and connects rocks and soils to other important topics such as habitats, history and sustainability.
Activities that may be included in your day:
- Geo-detective - find the clues to Essex' past, hidden in local rock formations.
- Soil study - learn about the layers of different soils
- Rock discovery - investigate and sort permeable and impermeable rocks
- Erosion - discover what causes erosion and how we can prevent it
- Underground dwellers - explore life in the soil and find out its vital role
- Art and games - land art, mud painting, pebble tower games and more